Monday 24 September 2012

The truth is out there - Part IV


Has the X-files series ever been popular in India? I have never been a fan myself but it taught me that “the truth is out there”. There is a slight problem tough: the truth is different, depending on where you are. The philosophers have found a nice name (a –ism name, the worst) for that nebulous concept: they call it relativism. My nomadic existence exposed me to its consequences: an incredibly large array of emotions, from embarrassment to disbelief, from amusement to irritation. Let me tell you my journey.
From Hong Kong to China – Age 23

China is where relativism puts on a mischievous avatar. In the middle kingdom indeed, “yes” has several meanings: it can mean “yes”, but it can also mean “no” or even “I don’t know”. Funny, isn’t it?

We had so much fun during our trip to Mainland China, my girlfriend and I. Ahah! What a laugh really! Remember, when I asked whether we were on the right path to the river in Yangshuo? The nice woman replied with a wide toothless smile and vigorously shook her head up and down: yes, girls! The river was actually in the opposite direction and we missed our boat-ride: ahah, hysterical! And that time when we almost missed our mid-term exams because that friendly fellow at the information counter confirmed that the bus back to Hong Kong was also running the following day! Ahah, that was too much! These dear Chinese people really are hilarious jokers, aren’t they? I am still rolling on the floor laughing!

…Or not.

Not at all, in fact.

Dear Chinese friends, you may have inhibitions in confessing your ignorance. You may prefer the safety of an utter lie over the humiliation of losing face by saying no. Fear thou not; for I am with thee! And I have good news! I have discovered a superb concept: it is called relativism! Relativism is going to get you free, people: free from the stress of losing face!

You still don’t get it? Alright, let me give you an example. In France, there was this über smart guy named Blaise Pascal. He was a mathematician (yes, it is the same Pascal as in “Pascal’s theorem”), a physician and a philosopher. And he wrote some very profound stuff, like “Truth on this side of the Pyrenees, error on the other side”. He wrote “Pyrenees”, but he could very well have written “Himalaya”. I am sure you feel better already: in the western world, you won’t be judged if you admit you don’t know the way to the post office, you won’t feel ridiculous if you confess that your restaurant is closed on Sunday. Isn’t it great? Isn’t it superb? No, don’t thank me, really…

...to be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment