Monday 9 July 2012

The inconstant gardener




“Mrs. James, Mrs. James, please!”

How long has the judge been calling my name? Actually, it is my husband’s name. I am already subconsciously divorced and refuse to hear anyone calling me by that name.

“Yes, Your Honour?”
“I can see that your attorney is not present. Your counsel Ms. Martin has sent me a letter which leaves me quite puzzled and you will understand why. Please listen.”

Dear Judge Barnard,

I refuse to represent Mrs. James. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to my former client but some exceptional circumstances have forced me to abandon her divorce case.

Yours sincerely,
Ms. Martin

That bitch!!! She did not even have the decency to inform me! I feel almost worse than when my husband told me that he had a mistress and was leaving me for that geisha. The judge takes control of the situation as I stand stupidly staring at him, with mouth agape and bulging eyes: “Mrs. James, Mr. James. In these conditions, we will have to interrupt the audience. The hearing is adjourned.”

As I exit the tribunal, I meet the eyes of my hopefully soon to be ex-husband. He is looking at me with pity. Am I dreaming or do I also catch a glimpse of guilt? I shake my head violently: now is not the time to dither. What I need at this moment is a very strong and ruffling coffee. A coffee and my best friend, Isa.

OK, Isa is not my best friend, per se. She is hardly even a friend. Actually, she annoys me most of the time with her clueless smile and that irritating foible of always agreeing with me in a theatrical manner. Argh!! But today is a case of force majeure. Sometimes, one needs these kind of people to pour out their frustration and anger: they listen quietly and vigorously nod at the appropriate time, they don’t lecture and condescendingly pretend that “it is for your own good, honey!”.

I sit at a terrace, order a stiff double espresso and wait for Isa while nervously scratching my nail paint. After few minutes, I spot her from a distance. Even the blindest bat would have been thrown off by her tacky orange hairy coat and her outrageously swaying hips. “Jen”, I order myself, “Stop criticizing the poor blonde. One, it is not her fault; two, she is about to save you 300 dollars of therapy.”

“Hi Isa!” I hug her tightly, partly to compensate my toxic thoughts (never know: God might exist!).
“Jen, I rushed up as soon as I got your call. It is horrible!! I don’t know what to say!”
I bit my lit before I can retort: “So don’t say anything, you dumbass, just shut your gigantic botoxed mouth!”
“That’s so nice of you, Isa. It feels good to know that someone still cares about me”, I press her hand with gratitude.
“Tell me everything!”, she crosses her legs in a burlesque attempt to be sensual, lays her DD cup size asset on the table and expectantly looks at me while slurping her carrot juice, her lips comically pouted around the straw.
“Oh, Isa! I am devastated!” I soon forget I am confiding to my favourite idiot as I pour my heart out. When I reveal the dramatic end of the hearing, she gasps loudly. “Oh, Jen! First Fred, now your lawyer! Everyone is abandoning you!!”
Sometimes, hearing the truth is more painful than experiencing it, especially when it is exposed by Isa with a genuine concern.

“What should I do?” I moan, not really expecting Isa to reply. She nonetheless ponders on my question and frowns seriously. After few minutes of intense reflexion, she enthusiastically exclaims: “You should be your own lawyer and spy on your husband! You are so smart, Jen. You should be able to sort things out!”
I stare at her dumbfounded and incredulously observe her empty glass. Has the waiter added some kind of magical intelligence philtre to her juice? Why on earth has that brilliant idea not stroked me before? Is my intelligence also failing me? I mumble some vague protests and rise from my chair as I hang my bag on my shoulder.
“Thanks a lot, Isa. It was really great talking to you. Sorry, I have to dash off. Just remembered some urgent work in office! Ciao!” I don’t allow her to reply and leave without looking back.

Driving back home, I am exhilaratingly cursing an imaginary Fred: “You little bastard! You ruined my life. You wasted my best years. You thought you could blithely trample on our marriage vows? You imagined I would ingenuously let you destroy me? Ha! Watch out! I may not have a lawyer anymore, but I am pumped up and ready to crush you. Just need to find the evidence of your pathetic animal behaviour and get that divorce pronounced!!!!!”

When I reach home, I feel deflated. I crash heavily on the sofa and ruminate. Where should I start? I sit at the computer, open my mailbox and violently hit my head! Of course!! I just need to check my husband mailbox. With a little bit of chance, the bastard has not changed his password. God, what is it already? Something to do with sport, or with travel? No, no, I remember, it is something to do with his favourite pick up line: he claimed to be like Casanova in college. Casanova! I hardly suppress a hallow laugh: I should have known!
Pick up line, pick up line, beauty, eternity…. Ahhhh, a big thank to my elephantine memory: “If beauty were time, you'd be an eternity”. How can any girl fall for that? It is so cheesy I want to puke. I enter the first letters of each word: “IBWTYBAE”. Bingo! Ah Casanova, only if your brain cells were as prompt as your womanizing impulses! Too bad for you, good for me!

I start exploring. I feel guilty and I jump twice at some sudden noises, quickly shut down the laptop and look behind me. But it is just Max, my cat, playing with the curtains. Not easy to be a spy! How can these people shamelessly stare at others’ life through the keyhole?
In the pool of spams, the emails of my rival, the girl (sorry, at this stage, I cannot say woman, she is just a girl) whom he is staying with. I read few of them, but soon get nauseous: the correspondence is riddled with mushy dialogues and tasteless allusions. Ah Fred, elegance has never been your strong point, but this is a festival of tawdriness! I scroll down and an email attracts my attention: the name looks familiar. Where have I seen it before? I open the email and sit up on my chair while the message loads.

“All is under control. Meet you at the court. xoxoxo”

What the??? What is going on? I jump out of the chair, crush my laptop against the floor and start punching the sofa cushions violently. I grab the phone: I am shaking as I dial my husband’s number. The ringing tone is unbearable. Max bolts as a huge roar blasts from my throat.
“Hello? Hello?”
“How do you know her?” My voice was just a raucous thunder.
“Sorry, who is this?” My husband’s voice was hesitant and shaky. “Jen, is that you?”
“You bet it is me! Now, Don Juan, you listen to me carefully.” I never knew I could be so assertive. “You are going to tell me the truth. The real truth, you hear me? What have you two scoundrels been cooking up behind my back?” What that my imagination or I could hear a hiccough?
“What are you talking about, Bunny?”
“Don’t bunny me! What are all the emails about? Why is she signing them by a cascade of XO? Don’t foul me, I am in no mood. Is that clear enough?”
An eloquent silence follows. And then finally: “OK, Bunny. I have not been fair to you. You are right, you deserve the truth” This unusual poise voice betrays an unexpected level of maturity from Casanova.

*****

Three days have passed. Three days of emotional roller coaster. My delicate complexion probably went through all the colours of the rainbow. The first day, I felt humiliated and betrayed (yet another time). On the constant verge of crying, the lump in my throat was preventing me for swallowing the tiniest crumb. The second day, I blamed my naivety and cursed my lack of suspicion. Nothing I could gulp down was filling the emptiness my stomach experienced. After two sleepless nights, I was exhausted. I decided to wash away my worries in the bath tub. This is when I started laughing hysterically. After all, this story has an incommensurable comical potential: the biter’s bit, a classic!!
*****

Once upon a time, there was a man named Casanova. In spite of being married to a lovely princess named Jen whose horticultural skills were legendary, he always needed to assess the colour of the grass of other princesses’ garden. He was collecting disappointment and enchantment phases, gardens devastated by drought or lovely blossoming spring orchards; but his curiosity was insatiable.  When princess Jen discovered sub rosa Casanova’s passion for gardening, her love for her husband withered. Should she be clutching at the straws of their love? She was confused.
She got the solution from a garden sorceress, Ms Martin, expert in inopportune gathering of nectar from perverted bumblebees. Ms Martin was positive: the only treatment against a worm-eaten marriage was to prune the sickened shoots and get a quick divorce. Jen was so impressed by Ms Martin’s legal knowledge that she did not even consider the milder options: treating the infested part (although the therapy was long and the success not guaranteed) or getting a good price in the form of a separation alimony (after all, Casanova may still have some value in the market). Ms Martin volunteered to act as the executioner: she predicted a quick but efficient legal separation. Princess Jen waited anxiously for the fatidic pruning day, only to realize that the witch did not turn up.
It appeared that Ms Martin was in reality jealous of princess Jen’s lawn and furiously wanted to obtain what Casanova had promised her: the exclusive maintenance of her own garden, for Ms Martin’s bewitching English garden had also been overrun by Casanova’s weed. But few days before the pruning day, princess Jen revealed to Ms Martin that Casanova was already planting his seeds in the fashionable and exotic Japanese garden of a fresh bimbo and their love was blossoming.
In shock, Ms Martin disappeared, prostrated by her guilt, her shame and her disenchantment. She gave up on her own garden, which is now a brushy and overgrown romantic desert. As for princess Jen, she suffered but overcame her difficulties and nurtured her property. She got her revenge from the witch Martin and she knew that Casanova would just remain an unsatisfied gardenaholic.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment